Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Entering the Cooking World


I’m attempting to get better at being in the kitchen. It’s a humbling experience for me at times, but Jay really does make it fun for me. I looked up recipes that include either sweet potatoes or any form of beans, as we’ve heard they are healthy for you.  This week the recipe proved itself and tastes amazing! Here it is:

Chicken & Sweet Potato

2 Stalks of Celery, chopped
1 Onion, chopped
2 Tsp Olive Oil
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1-2 Sweet Potatoes, diced
2 Chicken Breast, cooked and shredded
2 Cups Chicken Stock
1 Can (15 oz) of diced tomatoes, keep juice
1 Cup Water
Salt & Pepper to taste

Cook chicken ahead of time and shred it up into small chunks or pieces.  Sauté the celery and onion in the olive oil in large skillet.  Add the garlic after a few minutes. Put in chicken, sweet potatoes, chicken stock, water, and the can of tomatoes, including the juices from the can.  Turn heat to low-medium.  Let cook for about 40 minutes. Stir occasionally and add salt and pepper to taste. 
Serve over rice. (I made 3 cups (dry) of rice to go with this; I’m not sure how much that makes after it’s cooked)  Depending if you serve with a salad or another side, you could serve 5-6 people easily.


Things on the home front are going well. We are getting ready for another wedding this weekend.  Our good friends Tim and Jenna will be getting married on Saturday and hopefully we'll snag a pictures to put up here. Another exciting thing this Saturday is, our church, West Town Church, has a winter location! It's located above Pegasus Gallery in Valley Junction on 5th Street.  It starts at 5pm; come check it out if you can!

Other than that, we continue to learn more and more about the birthing process at our classes.  It's beyond amazing to me that our little girl is being knit together even as I type this blog.  Reminds me of this verse: 
Psalm 139:13 For you created my inmost being;  
you knit me together in my mother’s womb. 
 I just continue to be amazed with ever kick and punch she gives me, even if some of them hurt a little.  We almost have her room all put together which makes it quite a bit more real to know that we will have a precious little girl living in there in less than 50 days.  Until then.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment