Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sleeping in?

For the last few weeks, Emma has been getting up a little earlier than I'd like her to. And since I'm not a morning person in the first place, I pull her back in to our bed for just a little additional shut eye. But, these last few weeks, I have been feeling semi-guilty while doing this. Thinking.....I should just get up and start the day with her instead of almost forcing her to sleep a little longer. 
THEN......... 
Yesterday, I was reading and came across these verses:
Proverbs 6:6-11 Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in the summer and gathers its food at harvest. How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest- and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man. 

Most times when I read this, I just think, okay, don't be lazy. But, I'm reading in the study Bible and their explanation was just what I needed.

"Those last few moments of sleep are delicious- we savor them as we resist beginning another workday. But Proverbs warns against giving in to the temptation of laziness, of sleeping instead of working. This does not mean we should never rest: God gave the Jews the Sabbath, a weekly day of rest and restoration. But we should not rest when we should be working.... if laziness turns us from our responsibilities, poverty may soon bar us from the legitimate rest we should enjoy." 

That put the icing on the cake for me. So, last night I decided I'm going to consistently get up with Emma at 7am. (she ranges from getting up between 6 and 8, so perfect median) This morning she was up again at 6, so we crawled back into my bed. The alarm went off at 7 and we woke up. I hopped out of bed ready to start my new goal and Emma fell right back asleep. Every bit of me wanted to just go back to bed with her; our little 5 month old is already testing me! Eventually, I did just to watch her sleep. I treasure any moment I can watch her rest. I did take a ten minute snooze while laying there but am going to try my hardest to stick to this. My attempt at following God's Word and putting it into action. It's hard but worth it when I know I'm her example.

And of course, I couldn't resist snapping a picture of her. I think she's trying to take over my spot in our bed. She seems so comfy and cozy! 

1 comment:

  1. I had the same problem. I would put cartoons on after and hour and half of play and take a little nap. it was just a little nap though, but i got aggravated that i couldn't get things done, that the house looks like a mess. i was almost always irritated. and then i thought of this verse too and decided that when jason is done for the summer and has mornings off, i'm going to go running sometime between 7-8 and then the kids and i are going outside before it gets too hot. i have felt a lot better, both physically and mentally and spiritually. you know, that solomon had something goin there...

    ReplyDelete